As of August, 2009---the maximum unemployment insurance benefit check in CA was $450/week (Plus another $25/week from the Obama UI increase).
The folks at EDD have developed a UI checklist---you'll need:
- your SSN, name(s), mailing address, phone #, Drivers License #
- employer name, address, and last day worked
- Gross Earnings over the last 18 months
- You must have worked for the last 18 months and be able, available and looking for work
- To file you can apply over the phone, online, via fax or snail-mail.
- To file for benefits immediately after losing your job
Hat-tip to unemploymentality for finding this video.